Saturday, March 31, 2012

I’m grateful for tender moments

So a few days ago I started a a gratitude journal.  I was finding myself going through out the day realizing different, very little, everyday things that I loved so much that I get to do, see, hear, etc.  I wanted to make sure I recorded these things.  So I had heard awhile back about the concept of a gratitude journal that Oprah had done.  You can read more about it here.  I know this is old news (I think she did this show in ‘96…I think…I could be wrong) but I thought this would be a good way to get my thoughts down and hopefully draw in more positive energies.  Smile  Did I just say that???  That doesn’t even sound like me…but it’s true.  I think it sounds like fun.

Examples that’s I’ve done in the last few days are

Grateful when Kate’s fallen asleep in our bed that I get to pick her up and hold her for a few minutes.

Grateful when I get to go check on Henry right before I go to bed and see his sweet self all cozy in his crib.  His face is always soooo cute!

Grateful for the sound of my kids laughing in unison as we play hide and seek.

Grateful for Diet Coke that gets me through most days (What! I had to put that one in there!)

Grateful for Craig’s job and that he is in school and loves it.

So that’s a few.  Today I am grateful for the tender moment I had with Kate today.  This morning we (Hank,Kate,and myself) were all sitting at the table eating our breakfast.  Now Katelyn is so clumsy when it comes to her food and drinks.  With out fail at every meal she will spill something.  Most of the time it’s her drink but not always.  If it’s not her drink then it’s something from her plate.  It gets really frustrating sometimes because I am ALWAYS going to have to clean up after Hank; he’s the baby.  I guess I just think Kate should be able to get through a meal without spilling.  It just doesn’t happen.  So anyway back to breakfast…I guess I kink of ruined it with where this story is going.  Katelyn spills her glass of chocolate milk and it goes all over the table and floor.  You’re probably saying to yourself “Then give her a sippy cup if she’s always spilling!”  I guess I could do that.  I guess I just figured a 4 1/2 year old shouldn’t be drinking out of a sippy cup.  So I’m mad and I yell a little more and louder than I usually do.  It’s not an excuse but I guess I’m just a little spent this week.  Craig was gone the first half of the week and it’s been spring break and Craig had to work today which I was looking forward to having him home.  So I tell Kate to go out of the kitchen and out of the way so I can clean this up and she goes up to her room instead and slams the door.  It takes me about 5-7 min. to clean up and then I scarf down the rest of my breakfast and then take Hank upstairs to get dressed.  I walk into their room and she says to me “Mom, I know you’re mad at me but soon you wont be.”  I was like “Oh ya.  Why is that?”  Okay are you ready???  Here comes the tender moment. Smile She says “ ‘cause I said a prayer to the Holy Ghost and told him to tell you not to be mad anymore and I told him to help me not spill my drinks anymore.”  It was pretty bitter sweet.  On one hand I thought it was really sweet and I was happy that she knew she could pray for help and comfort when she needed it.  But I was upset at myself for getting so upset over “spilled milk”.  Upset enough that my little Kate had to go upstairs and pray about it.  Guess it’s another lesson learned for the mom in another day of motherhood. 

5 comments:

Jill said...

What a cute story. Love that girl. :)

Dani said...

That's a cute idea! I think it's easy to take those little things for granted - it makes sense to right them down in the moment so you can look back on them later when you're not feeling great. I love that Kate! Such a cute girl.

Beverly said...

Tender Mercies! What a sweet story. It made me cry. Gratitude journals are such a great idea. I always say I am going to do one. Maybe now is a good time to start. It is also a good idea in morning prayers to ask Heavenly Father for patience. It always helps me. The next time she spills walk out of the room and count to 10. Love and miss you all!

kathy said...

good story - I remember something that helped me when I would get upset at the kids - too often for my liking. My friend said that she used to lose patience and yell at her kids (which was unbelievable when I knew her)and then she just thought to herself..."How do I want my kids to remember me? Do I want them to remember me as a yelling mother?" It really helped her and once I heard it, it helped me....not that I never yelled again but I thought about it more and it made me yell less. You are a good mom and I know there is a lot of stuff going on and you are on your own alot with the kids - just keep up the good work, you are doing a great job.

kathy said...

Oh, sweet Katelyn and sweet you. It reminds me of what a friend once told me when my kids were little and I found myself yelling more than I wanted too - she said that when her kids were little she was a yeller (which I had a hard time believing because she was so NOT a yeller when I knew her) Anyway she said that she asked herself how she wanted her kids to remember her. Did she want them to remember her as a yelling mother? It really helped me - NOT that I never yelled again but I did yell less because I always thought of that.
You are doing a good job and are a wonderful mother, keep it up. xo, Kathy